St. Johns Church
St. Johns Church is situated on the corner of York Road and Lancaster Road just a short distance from Great Yarmouth's seafront. The church has just recently been purchased by the Great Yarmouth Preservation Trust. After being left redundant for many years the Great Yarmouth Preservation Trust is now developing ideas for new uses for the building while applying for funding to carry out repairs on the fabric of the church. Meanwhile the church will be accessible for various exhibitions and creative activities to begin introducing new uses into it.
Originally St. Johns Church was built as the headquarters for the Beach and Harbour Mission which was founded on January 1st 1858. The mission strove to improve the moral and religious condition of the beachmen and sailors and their families. Initially a humble church building it was expanded through the years in gaining elaborate extensions and additions of décor in reaction to increases in population in the town.