St George's Theater

This Grade 1 listed chaple, which was completed in 1714 by the Corporation of Great Yarmouth was made redundant in 1971, and was officially closed in 2006 due to significant structural problems.

The repairs and transformation into an arts center and theater by architect Sir Micheal Hopkins was the flagship in a mulit-million conservation-led regeneration scheme. The Great Yarmouth Preservation Trust and the Borough Conservation team played a key role in the repair by providing technical advice and supervision, as well as helping to secure the funding.

During the works, historic paint, which was of national significance was discovered, which the Preservation Trust managed over this particular convervation work, as well as contributed towards the cost of it.

Thanks to the repairs to the chaple, the building was removed from the buildings at risk register.

The total cost was of £3.8 million by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Townscape Heritage Initiative, English Heritage, East of England Development Agency, CABE, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Norfolk County Council and the Great Yarmouth Preservation Trust.